Successful weight management is about creating a lifestyle with healthy habits that last a lifetime. The goal then is to find ways to include healthy choices into your daily routines to help establish long-lasting habits for long-term success.
What does a healthy lifestyle look like?
- Eat Smart. Substitute healthy choices for unhealthy ones. Choose whole, non-processed foods the majority of the time. Include a variety of fruits and vegetables, choosing all colors of the rainbow.
- It’s not deprivation. Having a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean your favorite foods are completely off limits. You can still occasionally enjoy a slice of chocolate cake in moderation. The key is to limit the frequency and portion sizes.
- Move more. Schedule time for physical activity most days so you’re getting at least 150 minutes of activity a week. In addition, look for ways to make physical activity a part of your day. Park farther away, use the stairs rather than the elevator, walk around the building during your breaks, do some jumping jacks, or stretch while watching TV.
- Do what’s fun! Find ways to keep your routine fun and engaging. Maybe you’re ready to try a new workout class, challenge yourself to increase your walking speed, or include a workout buddy. We’re more likely to keep doing things we enjoy, so be sure to mix it up!
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is essential for the body to function well, including regulating our hunger hormones. Experts recommend getting seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
- Practice acceptance. Accept each day – or even each moment of each day – as it is. Remember that no person or situation is perfect and respond with kindness and understanding. Letting go of judgment and focusing on the good in you and others is the path to well-being and fulfillment.
Remember, it takes time to establish new habits. Stay consistent and these new habits will start to become a regular part of your life.