Better for You Chicken N’ Dumplings
Recipe courtesy of Leslie Green of The Hungry Housewife.
1 5-6 lb whole chicken, cut into 8ths*, reserve the bag of giblets
16 cups Water
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, whole
½ of a large onion, very rough chop
3 Tablespoons Mrs. Dash Chicken Flavored
1 26oz box unsalted chicken STOCK
½ tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 large Carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks Celery, Finely Chopped
2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
1 cup White Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
¼ teaspoon course Kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1½ cups water
Flour for dusting
- In a large stockpot, add the chicken, contents of bag in the
chicken(heart,neck,liver,etc.) water, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic cloves,
onion, Mrs. Dash and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 to ½ hours or until
the chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken and allow to cool until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the giblets, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic cloves onion(optional)
- Bring the stock back to a boil.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a medium skillet and cook the carrots and
celery for about 5 minutes. Add to boiling stock.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Bisquick, flour, parsley, salt and pepper
- Add 1 cup of water and mix. Add the additional water in ¼ cup increments
until a dough can be formed. You might not have to use the entire 1½ cups
or it might take you a tad bit more.
- Turn dough out onto a nicely floured surface.
- Kneed the dough for about 15 seconds.
- Re-flour the surface and roll the dough out to an ⅛” thickness. (The dough
will puff up when added to the stock, so it needs to be pretty thin)
- Flour the top of the rolled out dough and with a pizza cutter or knife, cut the
dough into dumpling strips, about ½” x ½”..this does not have to be perfect.
- In small batches, carefully add the dumpling into the boiling stock.
- Once all of the dumplings are added, boil for 10 minutes.
- Thinly shred the chicken and add back into the dumpling and broth
- Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
* The chicken and dumpling will thicken upon standing.
* You can ask your butcher to cut your chicken into 8 pieces.