Cauliflower Mac n’ Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Marla Meredith of Family Fresh Cooking.
1 pound whole grain penne pasta
1 head fresh 2 cauliflower - trimmed and cut
6 slices whole wheat bread - toasted & pulsed into breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups low-fat milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded smoked apple gruyere cheese
2 teaspoons mustard powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 oven proof baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until shy of al dente. Drain. Set aside.
3. While the pasta is cooking, place the cauliflower into a steamer basket fitted over a pot of boiling water, cover and cook until fork tender. Chop cauliflower. This step can also be done in the microwave if desired.
4. In a small bowl mix: breadcrumbs, parmesan, olive oil. Set aside.
5. In a large saucepan whisk milk and flour until well combined over medium heat. Continue cooking until small bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens. Stir in cheeses and spices. Stir until smooth. Add pasta, cauliflower and stir to coat.
6. Pour mixture into prepared oven dish. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Bake until top is browned and the cheese is bubbly. Approximately 30-35 minutes.