If you have picky eaters in the house, smoothies are a great way to sneak in several servings of fruits and vegetables. That’s right; smoothies aren’t just for fruit any more! Try adding leafy greens to your next smoothie. We used baby spinach in our Ginger Pear Smoothie but you could swap for regular spinach, kale or baby kale as well. With the sweetness of the fruit and the zip from the ginger and lime, your family probably won’t even notice they are drinking their veggies.
Ginger Pear Green Smoothie
$1.60 per serving
- 1 medium pear, cored and cut in large chunks
- 1 medium banana
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt – low fat
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger – peeled and quartered
- Several scoops of ice
- Place all ingredients except for the ice in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add several scoops of ice and blend on high for 45 seconds until you’ve reach desired consistency.
- Pour into two glasses to serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 190 calories, 1.6 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 36.2 g carb, 7.6 g fiber, 18.2 g sugar, 13.9 g protein
Recipe courtesy of Liz Della Croce of The Lemon Bowl.
HumanaVitality is not an insurance product. This material is provided for informational use only. You should consult with your doctor.