When it comes to building a healthier sandwich the key is to create a good balance of protein and fiber to give you the energy you need for the rest of your afternoon. By combining protein-packed hummus with plenty of bright veggies this flavorful pita sandwich is sure to satisfy and keep you full. A drizzle of olive oil not only adds moisture but plenty of healthy mono-unsaturated fatty acids. In fact, a little bit of fat actually helps your body absorb the vitamins and nutrients found in all of those delicious veggies.
Hummus and Veggie Pita Sandwich
$1.48 per serving
- 3 tablespoons hummus
- ¼ cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons red pepper slices
- 4 cucumber slices
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Split pita bread in half and spread 1 ½ tablespoons of hummus in each pita pocket.
- In a small bowl, toss together spinach, red pepper and cucumber with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the veggie mixture evenly between both pita halves and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per pita): 199 calories, 6.5 g fat, .9 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 31.6 g carb, 7.6 g fiber, .5 g sugar, 7.7 g protein
Recipe courtesy of Liz Della Croce of The Lemon Bowl. HumanaVitality is not an insurance product. This material is provided for informational use only. You should consult with your doctor.