Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes
Makes 12 Servings
$0.22 per serving (As of December 2012*)
Mini-size desserts offer the perfect little indulgence by helping with portion and calorie control. Try this delicious mini pumpkin cupcakes recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling guilty.
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces 1/3-less fat cream cheese, softened
½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat 24 mini muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and oil until well combined. Whisk in the pumpkin, milk and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium-size bowl until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting evenly over the cupcakes, or place the frosting in a zip-top sandwich bag, seal the bag, and snip a quarter inch off one bottom corner. Create playful designs on each cupcake – pumpkins, hearts, smiley faces – by squeezing the frosting from the bag onto each cupcake.
Nutrition Information per Serving (2 cupcakes): 200 calories, 8g fat (1.5g saturated, 0.6g omega-3), 220mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g protein, 50% vitamin A
Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes
Be sure to check your pantry before heading to the store!
1 (15-ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin puree
4 ounces 1/3-less fat cream cheese
Whole wheat flour
Pumpkin pie spice
1% low-fat milk
Recipe courtesy of Meal Makeover Moms.
*Price per serving was updated in December 2012 to reflect cost estimates based on ingredient measurements in this recipe.