The fall and winter months have a way of bringing out our cravings for comfort foods. Foods that are comforting to our mood, perhaps.To our waistline? Not always.
Here’s a delicious – and satisfying – alternative to high calorie mashed potatoes. In addition to being lower calorie, this dish is filled with fiber and nutritional value. Sweet potatoes are an unbeatable source of beta-carotene (a vitamin A and antioxidant) while cauliflower contains heart-healthy nutrients.
Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Mash
Makes 8 servings
$0.33 per serving
- 1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/3 cup reduced –sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- Prepare the vegetables as indicated in the ingredient list
- Steam the cauliflower and sweet potatoes together, until tender but not too soft, about 9 minutes
- Transfer to a bowl and add broth (warm so as not to cool off the mash) and sour cream
- Mash together to your desired consistency.
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped green onion.
Guest post written by Anne-Marie Kovacs & Audrey van Petegem ofThe Succulent Wife. This material is provided for informational use only. You should consult with your doctor.