HumanaVitality Recipe Refresh Challenge First Runner Up
Sweet and Smoky Turkey Chili
Recipe courtesy of Liz Della Croce of The Lemon Bowl.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast (99% fat free)
- 2 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs chipotle in adobo- minced (optional)
- 1 tbs all-purpose grill seasoning
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 cups chopped veggies (red/orange/yellow peppers, carrots, celery, etc.)
- ½ can beer (rest for the cook) -can sub with chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs BBQ sauce
- 1 can beans of choice – drained and rinsed (black, dark pinto, light red pinto, etc.)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro to garnish
- ½ cup of orange juice
- Heat large soup pot over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Add turkey and spices (cumin through grill seasoning) and cook for 6-8 minutes or until turkey is browned.
- Add onion, garlic and vegetables and continue cooking 6-8 more minutes until veggies are tender and turkey is starting to get really brown. (Don’t be afraid to walk away from the pot. We want the meat to caramelize and turn very brown – almost like it’s burning.)
- Add beer and orange juice to deglaze the pan and scrape up brown bits on bottom of pan using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, bbq sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add rinsed beans and corn.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or longer and garnish to serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and chopped fresh cilantro. Tastes even better the next day.