1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2018 5:13 PM by go365coach2

How much sleep do I need?

aka1514152847

I have no problems going to or awakening from slumber but am not sure on how much sleep I should be getting. I am a bit 31 year old male. What do you guys think?

• Re: How much sleep do I need?
          go365coach2

It’s great that you are able to sleep well.  Not everyone is so lucky!

To answer your question, most people need 7-8 1/2 hours/night.  And, many of us have a cavalier attitude towards sleep - viewing sleep as optional.

Enough sleep is essential to health and well-being, affecting every system in the body.
          It supports cell regeneration and growth, DNA repair, immune function, and regulates appetite and weight.  A full night’s sleep enhances mood, energy level, and overall sense of wellbeing.  With enough sleep, we’re more motivated and more resilient to stress.  We think more clearly and make better decisions.  Losing 1½ hours of sleep for just one night can diminish daytime alertness by as much as 32%.

Here are some tips to ensure that you’re getting enough good quality sleep:

1. Increase exposure to bright light during the day.
          2. Limit exposure to light –especially blue light – at night.
          3. Exercise early in the day or in the afternoon.
          4. Maintain hydration with adequate fluids during the day.
          5. Go to sleep and get up at the same time every day.
          6. Warm your hands and feet before bedtime to activate the relaxation response.
          7. Develop a sleep ritual: a warm bath, soothing music, reading, stretching, meditating...
          8. Power down: Turn off all of screens at least an hour before bedtime.
          9. Make yourself a sleep cave – a space that’s dark, quiet, and cool.
          10. Be mindful of what you consume close to bedtime. Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and foods high in sodium or sugar can interfere with sleep.